His Highness Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the President of UAE, issued a Decree of Federal Law No. (1), for the Year 2012 promulgating the establishment of a college in Abu Dhabi under the name of “National Defense College”. The college shall report to the GHQ Armed Forces and specialize in preparing and qualifying both military and civilian leaders and honing their skills in identifying and assessing challenges to national, regional and international security as well as understanding the fundamentals and requirements for managing and employing state resources to defend national interests.
His Highness also issued a Decree of Federal Law No. (19), for the Year 2016 amending some provisions of the Federal Law No. (1), for the Year 2012 promulgating the establishment of the National Defense College. The articles of the decree are as follows:
A college shall be established in the city of Abu Dhabi under the name of “National Defense College”, and shall report to the GHQ Armed Forces. It is responsible for preparing and qualifying both military and civilian leaders and honing their skills in identifying and assessing challenges to national, regional and international security as well as understanding the fundamentals and requirements for managing and employing state resources to defend national interests.
Formation The College Higher CouncilThe College Higher Council shall be composed of:
- Minister of State for Defense Affairs (Chairman)
- Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces (Vice Chairman)
- Secretary-General of the Office of H.H the Minister of Interior (Member)
- Undersecretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (Member)
- Director of Military Affairs at the Supreme National Security Council (Member)
- Director General of the Federal Authority for Government Human Resources (Member)
- Director General of Abu Dhabi Human Resources Authority (Member)
- Vice Chancellor of the United Arab Emirates University (Member)
- Commandant of the National Defense College (Member)
- Deputy Commandant of the National Defense College (Rapporteur)
Powers and Authorities of the College Higher CouncilThe College Higher Council shall specifically have the following powers and authorities:
- Approving strategic plans for preparing and qualifying military and civilian leaders.
- Approving regulations, curricula, educational and training programs, and development plans according to the college’s education policy.
- Drawing up the college’s general policy with regard to admission and registration.
- Identifying strategic priorities and national, regional and international security issues that need to be highlighted and included in the college curriculum.
- Approving graduates’ final results, academic degrees, masters, and any other certificates issued by the college.
- Reviewing and approving the annual budget of the college.
- Sending invitations and accepting students from friendly countries.
- Providing documents, data, reports and statistics related to the programs of the college from the ministries and institutions.
- Identifying research and study areas adopted by the college in all various programs.
- Studying suggestions and recommendations submitted by the NDC Council and issuing the necessary directives accordingly.
Meetings and Resolutions of the College Higher Council:
- The College Higher Council shall convene for one time at the end of each academic year upon an invitation from its President or Vice-Chairman, or each time the need dictates .The meeting quorum shall be a minimum of six members of whom shall be the Chairman or Vice-Chairman .
- The Resolutions of College Higher Council shall be issued upon the majority of voting members .In case the number of voters is equal, the party that has the Chairman or the Vice-Chairman, in the absence of the Chairman, shall prevail.
- The College Higher Council shall have the right to invite consultants and experts whom it deems appropriate to support in their technical and scientific experience without having the right to vote.
- The College shall be managed and administered collectively by the College Council and the Commandant.
- The College Bylaw shall entail the College's mission and objectives in addition to the organizational structure and functions of the College Council.
- The National Defense College shall grant a Masters Degree or a PhD Degree in Security and Strategic Studies or any other certificate or academic qualification decided in the future.
- The students who do not meet the admission requirements of the affiliated university shall be issued a Diploma in the State Resources Strategic Studies.
The National Defense College shall have an independent annual budget allocated in the Armed Forces Budget as per the directives of the Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces. The expenditures of which shall be in accordance with the allocations and the discretionary spending system approved by the Chief of Staff.
- The College Bylaw, the resolutions and bylaws for enforcing the provisions of this Decree shall be issued by the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces.
- Deputy Supreme Commander shall have the right to issue any allowance or bonus for employees and lecturers working at the National Defense College.
The concerned authorities shall execute the provisions of this Decree in a law as per the responsibility vested in each.
This Decree shall be published in the official gazette and enter into force as of 01/08/2012.
Khalifah Bin Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan
The President of the United Arab Emirates
(The original document is signed)
Issued in the capacity vested in Us at the Presidential Palace in Abu Dhabi on this day the Thirteen of August, 2012 corresponding to 25 Ramadan, 1433 Hijri .